Friday, March 27, 2015

rush diaries | part 2

it’s march 7th at 7:52 pm and I am still in a sorority. this tuesday our ‘bigs’ are revealed, so get ready for another instagram blast. every caption reads “in love with my big” or some ridiculous variation of the prior. what most of the girls posting don’t realize is that other people do understand is that probably 20 minutes before the picture frenzy began, the two girls in the picture were just introduced for the first or second time.

I like most things about being in a sorority. I like the potential friendships, the unique similarity/bond we now all have to each other, and the fun activities. but I also find that it’s a huge time commitment. I work (I know, unbelievable) during almost every important sorority event. I fall behind on what goes on. like I just learned last week that the journals we were given from our bigs were used to communicate back and forth with them. I literally thought they were a gift, a diary. I never bothered getting mine and writing in it until this week. the paddles we make? yeah when my new member class sent in a bulk order I put in the group: “honestly what even is this about” and no one answered me. sisterhood!!! I just bought my paddle yesterday. still don’t have my letters.

I don’t like the forced unity. I don’t like that we must wear pure white to some events, with pure white shoes. why would I own pure white shoes? why would I even own cream shoes? why would I own blanched almond colored shoes?

but I’m lucky that I joined. I’ve met so many more people. and some of them I really do like despite how picky I am. I’m lucky that my best friend on campus is in the sorority with me. she keeps me updated as best she can (when I bother to ask) and I feel comfortable attending events when she’s with me. I don’t have to have forced conversations with every single person for the first three months of events until I start to develop real relationships.

just don’t tell anyone from home that I’m in a sorority. I’ll be the metaphorical joke for eternity.

is this for me? entry 3 to come. 

o chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment